PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF NCA or remain a civi ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2003, 23:33
dopeonarope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Hmmmm....... I am at a cross roads myself, Was ALM SAR winchman until recently and PVR'd after 15 years service, to head to warmer (May - Oct) and bloody freezing (Nov - Apr) climes in search of that new life in the new world..... is it better in civvy street or as NCA?

I really enjoyed my career in RAF both as GC and Aircrew (albeit the NI Tour) and had the best job as NCA prior to leaving. I chose to leave for many reasons, family being the primary reason, but now, we as a family are deciding was the move worth it..... where else can you get a pretty good wage for not the hardest work in the world (I include SH boys in that as well!), Sports, social life, adventurous training opprtunities, working with some of the best people in the world and still being able to see large amounts of the world.

I chose to leave, work overseas, battle with government departments to prove my abilities (what abilities some of you out there who know me will ask ) live in a country with arguably one of the best standards of living (UN say that); yet we still would like to return to Uk and become part of THE BEST AIR FORCE in the world.

I would argue that the RAF is a good place for a career, NCA is a fantastic position... yes we all moan about how the O Corps get this and that but its worth it. I at 34, who now works as a Paramedic, has to wash and clean my own vehicle (GCs did all the clean up after I'd finished with a real messy job on SAR ) earns comparable wages albeit dollars here. But its not everything.

To answer the original post..... 30 years old..... go for it... there are plenty who have done it and had a great career... SAR?..... I'll fight you for that place!

Hope to see lots of old pals soon wearing the blue uniform I used to and being called a growbag.... bring it on......