PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Armed ?
Thread: Aircrew Armed ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2017, 11:07
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
As indeed their Glider Pilot Regiment forebears did at Arnhem
And including of course the high percentage of RAF glider pilots at Arnhem.......

(not sure how many - will look it up)

[Edited to add:]

Apologies to the GPR - getting my MARKET GARDEN (Arnhem) mixed up with my VARSITY (Rhine crossing) - I really should know better!

GPR suffered 90% cas at Arnhem, so 1500 RAF pilots were drafted in for the Rhine crossing. In that Operation, 60% of the glider aircrew kia were RAF ..........

...... and they did their bit:
For example, Squadron Leader Reynolds was flying a Horsa with Flying Officer Bayley as his co-pilot. On his approach to his landing target, Reynolds saw a German four-gun light flack battery shooting at other gliders. He ordered Bayley to take control of the Horsa while he engaged the Germans with a sub-machine gun, firing through the cockpit canopy. He killed or wounded all of the gun crew and took the survivors prisoner after Bayley had landed the glider.

Reynolds then came under fire from a nearby four-gun flack battery and he ordered Bayley to attack it with a PIAT, an elementary anti-tank weapon with an effective range of about 50 yards. Bailey crawled off and scored a direct hit killing the gun crew in the position.
(quoted from the Assault Glider Trust website. )

Last edited by teeteringhead; 27th Jul 2017 at 11:21.