PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are you Amelia?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2017, 22:57
Cazalet33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll tell you what it says.... It says specifically that pilots should increase speed into an adverse headwind. Loose leaf Page 35A Amendment is printed in Courier Font. Courier Font was invented post-WWII and Lockheed felt it necessary to inform and instruct pilots to increase speed into an adverse (extra value to the flight planning) headwind. I didn't say "I" would lean off or ease the throttles. If you have a copy of "Last Flight" written by Earhart, on Page 33, it gives an indication that she could well be using lean of peak and if she did use lean of peak she would not be able to lean any more now would she ? The only way after that to use "less" gas would be to retard (ease) the throttles slightly. I obtained that AFM for the Electra 10A about twenty years ago from Lockheed at Marietta and was struck by the fact that Lockheed found it really necessary to include the point about increasing speed into a headwind years after production of the Electra had ended.
The Billings hypothesis appears to suggest that Earhart did not know the basic airmanship knowledge that you increase airspeed into a headwind for max range by pushing the throttles up. He appears to suggest that this was not written by Lockheed until after the War and by inference he appears to suggest that she did not know this fairly basic piece of airmanship and engine handling. I say bollocks!

Here's what she was told, in writing, by Lockheed with the very specific topic of her proposed long range flight in mind:

Edited to add:

Not because she's a wumman or anything, but Kelly Johnson even drew her a nice little picture to clearly show the physics of the thing if the words were too complicated:

Last edited by Cazalet33; 26th Jul 2017 at 23:13.