PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 26th Jul 2017, 16:55
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ian W
Similarly, had ATC switched on the 28L lights the illusion would have been destroyed, had ATC added to the approach clearance 'runway 28L is out of use unlit and marked with a red cross' - the illusion would have been destroyed.
The big FAA L-893 'X' is not red, it's yellow, flashes aviation white lights and in my experience, you can see it for miles on a clear night. Hard to miss if anybody is looking out the window.

Originally Posted by underfire
Previous comments stated that the ac may not have been GPS equipped. This would negate them even using the procedure, so who knows.
Again, can you cite any reference to indicate that the FMS Bridge Visual 28R requires GPS? It requires radar from the old plate posted earlier on the thread.

This approach has been in use for at least 20 years, long before most A320's and B-757's had GPS. But I'm sure you knew that, right?

Originally Posted by CurtainTwitcher
Remember the Taipei SQ accident? He used a lit runway that had construction equipment halfway down it.
The Y2K SQ mishap at TPE really accelerated the international implementation of improved lighting and markings to denote closed runways and taxiways from what I could see.

At the time of the SQ006 crash runway 05R was an odd pseudo-runway in my observation. It had green centerline lights since it was usually used as a taxiway. Also, the touchdown zone markings were faded and non-standard with rows of white circles instead of piano keys and solid fixed distance markers. Seems like I landed on 05R once (75 feet wide? ) when 05L was notamed out of service for rubber removal years ago.

It appears that the edge lights to 05R were not lit when the SQ whale lined up on it by mistake:

On the night of the accident, the information available to the flight crew regarding the orientation of the aircraft on the airport was:

- CKS Airport navigation chart
- Aircraft heading references
- Runway and Taxiway signage and marking
- Taxiway NI centerline lights leading to Runway 05L
- Color of the centerline lights (green) on Runway 05R
- Runway 05R edge lights most likely not on
- Width difference between Runway 05L and Runway 05R
- Lighting configuration differences between Runway 05L and Runway 05R
- Para-Visual Display (PVD) showing aircraft not properly aligned with the Runway 05L localizer
- Primary Flight Display (PFD) information

The flight crew lost situational awareness and commenced takeoff from the wrong runway.
ASN Aircraft accident Boeing 747-412 9V-SPK Taipei-Chiang Kai Shek Airport (TPE)