PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2017, 16:40
FADEC1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Private Equity firms and boxes of lean tape.

Originally Posted by Twist & Shout
Meanwhile, some "safety manager" is trying to dream up an acronym for the next "safety system".
You are so "on the money" it's not even funny. It is my view as a lifetime helicopter community member that too many private equity firms have taken over aviation companies, with a exit strategy already in place with the intent of turning a quick profit by getting rid of assets and replacing them with rolls of lean tape. After getting their foot in the door, they have systematically ensured jobs for their friends at the expense of experienced helicopter staff. The financial losses seen at these once large companies seems to show that they really don't know what they're doing. They conveniently blame oil prices for their problems. Somebody in university obviously forgot to tell them about having eggs in the same basket. While they were studying how to crunch numbers and play Chapter 11 games, we were all helping to build these companies to the point where these vultures took notice.
They do not know or understand what safety in aviation means. Yet some of them sponsor real Safety & Quality Summits with real speakers. If it's true that this unfortunate accident was the result of out-dated software and that it was brought up time and time again internally, than the ones responsible for choosing more lean tape instead of software updates should be forced to meet the families and explain it to them. Then they should be banned from stepping into any aviation company, for life. Of course I'm assuming that someone chose lean tape over software updates and I may be totally off-course. I would lean more towards a total lack of understanding of the helicopter business and what we call safety. I have seen a shift through the years and it is not good. The village idiots are definitely in charge now and they hold MBA's and more! They're not smart enough to know any better, but they can tell you how to lean a production plant in a heart beat. None of us work for production plants. Scary times! Good thing I'm retiring soon!