PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Single Engine flying - beta target indication
Old 26th Jul 2017, 04:37
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks folks .. now I'm up to speed on the story.

OG, I was hoping that you might wade in, good sir. Have located your references and they will keep me busy for a while .. I can well see why you might have remembered the AGARD event ... guess I'll have to swot up on supersonic predictions as well ...

Interestingly, I think that the majority of FT folks probably adopt the nil slip idea as min drag. Vessbot, it appears I was a bit behind the intimate bits of the detail .. mea culpa and thanks.

This is getting as silly as it usually does.

Well, yes, and no. The main value of Tech Log to PPRuNe folk is that dummies, such as I, can pick the brains of the SME folk .. and we have a few of those in capital letters. Consider that, for near 50 years, now, I have fondly believed that nil slip was the end of it for min drag. Score one to my education from PPRuNe.

I am being quite serious in this comment. By the ends of our careers, most have acquired sufficient skill etc. to be considered SMEs in this or that. The brighter folk manage half a dozen disciplines. None of us knows it all .. learning continues until the Grim Reaper cuts our run short.

use of TOGA with low weights and speeds. Vilas said the regulatory performance is met with flex.

Of course one can push up to TOGA. But flex will (must) meet all the requirements as that is a necessary prerequisite for the flex setting.

Caveat is that the handling patting-the-head-while-rubbing-the-tummy can get out of hand very quickly. If one is of a mind to increase above flex .. then, please, do it slowly so that the leg can keep pace with the hand and engine response .. that's what the FCTM words "require precise handling" mean. Really, though, unless there is a good reason to do so, why not just leave things as they are and concentrate on flying the thing ? Very much worth the training value to do it for fun, either in the sim or aircraft (the latter at a safe height, etc). If you don't get a feeling that you are hanging onto the tail of the tiger ....

Long while ago now but I was heavily involved with a fatal investigation where they probably would all have survived had the crew left the operating throttle where it was ... pushed it up, yaw, roll, crash, burn, majority died.