PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet "for the love of flying" DEC
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2017, 00:05
Count of Monte Bisto

Received 341 Likes on 112 Posts
A most interesting discussion. I think there are some wise words here from ex-easyJet guys, although I have to say their experience is not mine. I have flown for easyJet for 13 years (just gone part-time). If you are a young lad/lass, then really BA is the only game in town. It is a great company - despite Alex Cruz. EasyJet have been very good to me overall, but there is a huge amount of roster disruption in the summer (effectively July and August, but occasionally outside those two months as well). That said, we fly lots of new aircraft, have much more fun SOPs (you get to fly your own approaches!), and there is a great atmosphere between the pilots and cabin crew. The big selling point for easyJet is the known days off years in advance, and very few night stops. Despite some of the warnings on here, I have personally never had a single difficult discussion with a crewing officer in 13 years and never once been sent away unexpectedly. Under the new deal just agreed with BALPA today a UK captain's basic will be around £103k plus around £15k in allowances. The BA pension is much better (easyJet put in 7%). I have personally known of two pilots who left BA (not at 55 and retiring) to join easyJet. One was delighted he had done it and the other said that in the end he regretted it. I am accused of being too pro-easyJet, but I think I am just a realist. Next to a national carrier, I think we are about as good as it gets. BA is, however, a great national carrier and you should not underestimate how good a company it is. In the final analysis, I think there are six reasons to come to easyJet from BA but many reasons not to. The reasons to come are:

1. Very few night stops, so you get home most nights.
2. 5/3/5/4 roster pattern that means you can predict your days off.
3. Good basic salary for captains.
4. Quick command relative to the likely wait now at BA.
5. The implementation next year of the 'preferential bidding system' like the one currently in easyJet's Italian bases. This allows you to choose lates or earlier as you wish.
6. Great share schemes that have netted a lot of money for the people who have bought into them.

Offsetting that, the reasons not to come here are:

1. Much more unstable rosters compared to BA.
2. Lack of opportunity to move out of short haul.
3. Long waits for commands at the regional bases due to oversubscribed transfer lists.
4. Cumulative fatigue over many years (maybe everyone has that!) for people not going part-time. .
5. Poorer pension than BA.
6. Terrible crew food!
7. No seniority list which means you never really escape the terrible duties - they just keep coming round!

Others may disagree, but that is how I see it. It would be a huge decision to leave BA and not one to take likely. That said, if you really want to do it, then we are about as good as it gets in the low cost business.