PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 25th Jul 2017, 15:12
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shore Guy
I have not flown this specific approach, but common sense would dictate having the ILS at least tuned in for close in lateral and vertical guidance.
Unfortunately, it appears that on the A320 seeing ILS raw data is difficult with an FMS non-precision approach set up:

Originally Posted by Brain Potter
In the A320 the display of ILS GS and LOC symbology on the PFD is incompatible with using the autoflight system to fly a non-precison approach. The ILS may be hard-tuned but the crew will not see the data unless they select the LS pushbutton or switch the Nav Display over to ROSE LS mode. If they do press the LS pushbutton after loading an approach with vertical guidance, they will get a flashing amber V/DEV message on the PFD to highlight the incompatible selection.
Another workaround I'm told would be to put the ILS 28R in the secondary flight plan and toggle to it on final but that opens up a can of worms with a possibly different missed approach and non-standard procedure.

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer
Why do I find it hard to believe that we, as pilots in clear weather, need an ILS to find a runway plainly visible? The pilots on the AC flight questioned the controller, but did not question themselves, there's the problem.

I don't think the ILS being tuned and displayed or the FMS approach would, or could have, made the slightest difference. Once locked into the the visual picture, the crew wasn't going to change. What's surprising is they did NOT go around when they believed the runway was blocked.
Agreed, the biggest raw data cue in this case should be visual, a bright flashing 'X' on the closed runway 28L and ALSF-II approach lights on 28R.