PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BLOG
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2017, 13:04
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PanZa-Lead
I guess you fly around Asia most of the time. When switched to Director in most parts of the world you can just check in with call sign only. Giving your life history when checking in just wastes their time. They are extremely busy ( that's why they have a Director) and only want to know you are on frequency. By looking at their radar they know your altitude, heading and speed so why give it to them all again. But there again most pilots like to hear their own voices
My understanding is that Director is sitting looking at the same picture and right next to the approach controller that hands you to director. This is the reason that you don't need to provide the typical info you do on a regular handover.

I do wish controllers would omit duplicate clearances when checking in though. That does waste time, congests the frequency, and could introduce confusion.

For example, when checking in with departure you announce climbing to 5000ft. If the clearance is correct then departure should just say "Roger, or radar contact". Don't now clear me to the same altitude I checked in with (i.e., to climb to 5000ft). That now requires me to read it back. Not to mention it introduces another opportunity to misunderstand for a further climb, which is the next expected altitude clearance.

With the congestion over TD you can see the holes in the Swiss cheese coming into alignment. This practice does not enhance safety. If as a controller you are unsure about the transmission from the pilot then do as we do (or at least should do), and simply say "say again".