PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Single Engine flying - beta target indication
Old 25th Jul 2017, 12:58
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
We're talking at cross purposes, methinks. A quick review of the thread ..

Not trying to be difficult, folks. Just trying to comes to terms with some stuff which appears strange. Caveat, I am not an AB pilot and understand that the automatics do things a little bit differently than, say, manual flight on the Boeings. Lack of AB knowledge specifics might be at play here ...

Post 2 It indicates minimum drag, not zero side-slip.

Conventional wisdom is that min drag occurs at nil slip condition. Nowhere do I see any authoritative reference to bank so I can only presume that the AB comments relate to wings level climb out which is much the same as for the 72/73 where the pilot manually inputs rudder to centre the wheel. This might give a satisfactory result for the Type but I can't see how it equates to min drag which is going to require a bit of bank. Wings level will result in some residual slip - that's fine - but it ought not to equate to min drag.

Post # 3 beta target centered=optimum side slip=min drag

Similar comments to Post #2

Post # 13 Pilot is required to give rudder input to stop the sideslip

Rudder controls yawing moment. Once that is done (wings level and constant heading) there will remain a residual slip angle

Post # 13 Giving rudder input for zero sideslip will require too much rudder deflection

The rudder input is causing the residual slip. If you input more, what happens to heading and slip angle ? Certainly isn't going to give you nil slip.

Post # 17 For minimum drag (no aileron or roll spoiler deflection) at VMCA, then you would need 5 degrees bank

The bank for control considerations is not for performance, rather it reduces slip and frees up a bit of rudder authority. Can you cite any authoritative reference which supports your suggestion that you will have zero slip in the above situation ?

Post # 17 The aircraft will gradually centre the Beta Target resulting a few degrees of bank

This is the only comment I have seen which suggests that the aircraft will climb out with some bank. If that is the case, typically 2-3 degrees or so, then slip will be around nil and drag minimised. Now, what is the case if you are hand flying it rather than switching in the box ?

The FAST reference makes no observation regarding bank.

Post # 25 So the minimum drag for these 2 components is at different slip conditions, and since the total parasite drag is the sum of both of the components, its lowest point will be at some compromise condition between two conditions.

I think not. To get the nil slip condition will require a combination of rudder and aileron input. No value to be had in trying to separate the bits and pieces.

Post # 26 We are agreed. But is there a point to your post other than to restate the paper's words ?

I think what I am trying to get to is whether the aim is to fly with bank or just accept the wings level compromise ?