PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash near Mt Gambier
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2017, 06:48
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
I'm intrigued by a few aspects of the preliminary report.

I'm not sure what is so surprising about the departure path and altitude of the aircraft. TB-10 with 3 pax and possibly full fuel reaches 500' AMSL - about 300' above aerodrome level - 45 seconds after take off in humid conditions. What altitude would be 'normal' in that aircraft in those conditions, 45 seconds after take off?

"Veered to the left" seems an overstatement compared with Figure 2. I'd be interested to know the wind conditions at the time. Maintaining runway heading by DG/compass after take off won't result in maintenance of runway track, if there is a crosswind.

I wonder why there is a reference to a strong smell of "fuel" rather than a strong smell of AVGAS. I do hope ATSB has or will discount the possibility of the aircraft having been refuelled with the wrong fuel. (Would we be bludgeoning AF into IFR-only operations, if this turned out to be a mis-fuelling tragedy?)

Apparently CCTV showed the aircraft took off from runway 24. I wonder how far away the camera was from the aircraft and runway.