PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash near Mt Gambier
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2017, 06:06
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Flower
No, I want it to go ahead just to see if it proves I am right.

DF.
The word "if" is a sign of your wisdom, DF. And, sadly, my experience suggests you will be proved correct.

Apropos of nothing in particular ...

The father of a very good school friend of mine was a RAAF pilot a long time ago. He was ferrying a propellor-driven trainer (pre Plastic Parrots and Ginwheels) from A to B. His parent's farm happened to be along the way. He decided to 'pull over' there for a cup of tea and bikkies.

After the visit he strapped back in and prepared for take-off. During taxi he managed to taxi into a shallow trench that he'd failed to see, damaging the undercarriage and destroying the propellor.

Being an officer and gentlemen, he naturally concocted a story about an engine failure and forced landing. He even tore some branches from one of the trees on the boundaries of the property and jammed the greenery into the undercarriage struts and other components.

The subsequent investigation and board of inquiry never identified the fact that the location of the 'engine failure' and 'forced landing' was his parent's farm...