PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 25th Jul 2017, 02:42
CurtainTwitcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sptraveller
We have a choice whether to fix the system to accommodate the human frailty, or to avoid the human frailty entirely.

History is firmly on the side of the latter.
I assume you are talking about a totally automated system, are I correct?
If that is the case, who or what is the source of such coding for the automation?

Here is an old investigation, a "computer accident" & excellent write-up by Nancy Levison: Therac-25.

I doubt computer software is going to solve the systems problems. Sure, it will fix some obvious ones, and equally will embed new issues. There will still be human factors, however, the location of the failure will just shift from the flight deck to the coding cubicle.

Another very recent article: The Future of Artificial Intelligence: Why the Hype Has Outrun Reality. Soak that article up, realise the massive data acquisition & processing task we humans actually do. We are exquisitely adapted to such tasks, at cost of being 100% accurate of the time. The efficiency of our sensor bandwidth & processing vastly exceed that of current systems by a very large margin.

Last edited by CurtainTwitcher; 25th Jul 2017 at 03:03.