PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New trailer is out for Dunkirk.
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2017, 23:22
Fonsini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**Warning - Spoiler Alert**

Don't read this if you haven't seen the film yet.

So I saw it and very much enjoyed it - caught the first showing at my local theater here in the states. Per my earlier post, sure enough there was a cowardly second lieutenant who managed to kill a teenage British boy in a fit of terror, but there was far more representation of personal sacrifice than open cowardice so I have no cause for complaint. The scene where the Spitfire runs out of fuel at 100' AGL and still manages to kill a Stuka 30 seconds later with conserved energy did remind a bit of a Jaffa orange - far fetched, and those Brownings seemed to have a lot of ammunition as well, but maybe I'm being picky. Apparently the French have been complaining that they didn't get much of a look-in which surprised me, because I thought they did - the depiction of them fighting a rearguard action reflected very well on them. Mark Rylance was superb as the private boat owner and Tom Hardy did a great job as the Spitfire pilot who refused to leave the fight - there were a few interesting comments about the perceived lack of air cover from the RAF, historical accuracy ? The final scene where one of the young soldiers comments that people will be spitting on them in the streets for having been defeated, only to be met at the train station by cheering crowds was entirely believable and quite moving.

All in all I thought they told the story very well.