PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USS Gerald R Ford - CVN 78 - Commissioned Today
Old 24th Jul 2017, 23:04
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
The US Navy lost an Aircraft Carrier to enemy action during the Vietnam War.....to Combat Swimmers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/a0e00c0...commandos.html

OK SASless, bonus points to you, but I would call it a real stretch. Yes a big accomplishment for the swimmers to sink an enemy ship, but also note the ship was in USNS service (civilian manned) and designated as an aircraft transport at the time- as several ex-carriers of various nations were in late stages of their life. And it was in downtown Saigon at the time, and had been carrying aircraft, but I think few would consider it a "aircraft carrier" as in a ship of the line. Many USNS, MSC and MARAD ships carry aircraft as cargo, but calling them an "aircraft carrier" is mostly semantics folly.

I also enjoyed how the article you linked with the banner touting themselves as "Foreign Policy Experts Roundtable" use a photo of a "real" carrier, which if my eyes are correct in reading the stack number as "41"- making it the MIDWAY! Guess they are as good as the "experts" that label every fighter as a F-16 and every rifle as a AK-47 or AR-15.