PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St Georges chapel - RAF Biggin Hill
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 19:19
whisperair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Biggin Hill, St Georges Chapel

Ladies and Gentlemen

Many of you will be aware of the campaign to realise an appropriate - if belated, 'Heritage Centre' at Biggin Hill.

The freehold of the chapel passed from the MoD to L.B. Bromley and the Council contracted a 'renowned' Architect to bring the project to life.

I make no comment on his vision of what is an appropriate memorial to those who participated in our 'finest hour', save to ask that you read the petition below and search 'Protect Biggin Hill RAF Chapel' for more detail on the plans before hopefully adding your voice to the rising number of people who have an alternative view to that of Bromley Council.

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/protect-biggin-hill-st-george-s-raf-chapel-of-remembrance

I have posted below the text from an email I received a few days ago from the petition starter, in case any of you are in south London on Tuesday evening, or perhaps have contacts in RAFA or RBL who may wish to add their voices to the throng:

Thank you.

"To All of You who care about this Iconic Chapel,

Last Wednesday I was allowed just three minutes to present our case to Bromley Council's Executive Committee, but they are ignoring our 7,600+ voices. They are proceeding to a special Full Council Meeting for final verification on Tuesday next week, but so far are not allowing me to represent our case to all 60 Councillors, because they estimate local votes to be less than 4,000.

Please could you come to Bromley this Tuesday 25th July at 6.30pm for a show of 'People Power' in a last ditch attempt to change their minds?

The address is:- Bromley Civic Centre, Stockwell Close Bromley, BR1 3UH. Both Bromley South and North British Rail Stations are close by, and a large multi-storey car park is adjacent to the Civic Centre.

Despite all our pleas, no national newspapers have picked up on our campaign, despite this campaign being of such National (and International) importance, so you are are our last chance!! Please still keep spreading the word, just Google: Protect Biggin Hill RAF Chapel.

Thank you, Rita Radford"