Thread: Astraeus
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2003, 17:07
Flypuppy

Chieftan o'the Pudden Race

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashy,
There is, quite obviously, a demand.
I am quite aware there is a demand. It is also quite possible that the demand is fuelled by quotes like
In fact, I'll go as far as to say that you will find it difficult to find an airline anywhere that is recruiting AND type rating. It's a sad fact of the industry, something that has been the case in the United States for a very long time.
the implication being that this is the way it will be in the future in JAR-Land (difference is that in the US a 737 rating is about 6k).

I suspect you mean is the Operating License ( OL ) which is to do with the fiscal fitness of an airline.
Well, I have at least learnt something this morning.

it’s not like any of the TRTO’s are holding a shotgun to anybodies head and forcing them to sign up.
Noone holds a shotgun to my head to force me to put fuel into my car, but if I want to make use of it I had better have some fuel in the tank. Maybe not the best analogy but can you see where I am coming from? MCC was initially intended to be provided by airlines, it is now a requirement on the cv before you are considered for interview. Maybe I am just a cynical old pessimist, but I can easily foresee a time where airlines will require low houred pilots to provided their own Type Rating.

Sorry, but I fail to see the connection.
IFALPA have shown at least a little more interest in this issue than BALPA. If they are against the concept then it will only require some form of safety related incident and they will be screaming "told you so".

cost me something in the region of £56,000
OK, so maybe you will understand why I am so pissed at this new phenomenon. Imagine you had spent all that money, time and effort just in time for the goalposts to be moved yet again. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I daren't even try and add up how much exactly I have spent so far, it would only depress me, but a scratch calulation of completing the IR would bring me to about 65k. Adding the cost of a type rating and line training moves the financial burden from "just about able to justify the cost" to "stupid idea".

Your comments only spur me on to find the exit from this financial madness. At least it reduces the competition for the rest of the potential pilots out there by one. I have probably spoken out of turn and burnt some bridges anyway, so it saves me the effort of sending cv's out and getting sheafs of PFO's.

Instructing at the weekends in the local club seems much more appealing now.