PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fellow Rotorheads, a serious question re drones.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 01:49
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Drone registration

Warning, seriously whacky ideas ahead...

UK to bring in drone registration http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40684581

In addition the article refers to extended use of geo fencing.

In years to come I hope geofencing of scores of sensitive buildings does not spread to manned craft.

Last year Mercedes Benz unveiled plans for their new concept commercial delivery van.
https://youtu.be/MVQowcBLuqk
They are proposing a business where their delivery vans can sort parcels using "just in time" philosophy where the item needed in a process is made available just in time, in this case a parcel is shuffled in the van by a robot so the driver doesn't have to do it. They backed up the idea with plenty of statistics and data about the inefficiency of the current system.

Part of the plan is for smaller items to be delivered by drone. The drones, situated on the roof, are fed letters and small parcels from the sorting robot in the van and then launch from the roof when they are close to the delivery adress.

The idea is that drones deliver the "last mile", with the van acting as a mother ship.

So, is there also role for helicopters to be involved in getting parcels and letters to the "last mile"?

Has anyone properly explored the viability of launching and retrieving drones from a helicopter?
I'm assuming there is not yet a solution for a small drone to safely negotiate rotorwash.

I came up with one plan using a platform and net on a line, to enable a filming drone in places where a helicopter couldn't land a crew.

I could imagine mass produced drones costing peanuts in the future, so in some circumstances a drone need not be recoverable by the aircraft.

I can see the issues with sling loads over builtup areas.
However, I wonder as drones are seen to become reliable, if the slung load is actually a dozen drones carrying letters or small packages, if a new set of rules can be made because in the event of an emergency where payload would have to be jettisoned, payload would self launch

The concept of medical supplies being delivered by drone to injured soldiers on the battlefield has been suggested, so innovation may be funded from that department.

The retrieving process is problematic part, its already feasible now to drop a drone and have it free fall for a few seconds before it activates.

Mjb

Last edited by mickjoebill; 22nd Jul 2017 at 04:25.