PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Europe.. Any info on how employment/contracts would work?
Old 21st Jul 2017, 23:53
kungfu panda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gbotley
Valid points, but aren't all EU states a party of the bilateral ICAO Convention to which the freedoms of the air must then apply? In such a case easyJet UK flying into Europe and say, Wizz Air flying into the UK would be permitted. The concern comes with EU to EU domestic operations from a non-EU carrier to which easyJet Europe's new AOC bypasses with supposed "Cabotage" being allowed to continue. Your point on a ban on British carriers entry into the European Union would be unlawful by these rules.

Of course that's just my two cents and I appreciate i'm a only a trainee but air law is perhaps more fresh in my mind than some on here.
Unfortunately you are not correct. Our current right to operate from the UK to EU airports are governed by the EU Transportation agreement and have nothing to do with ICAO. ICAO will allow us overflight rights, I believe under the Chicago convention but no landing rights.

Unless we remain signed up to the ECJ, which is a red line no (for the current government), then we must leave the transportation agreement.