PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Europe.. Any info on how employment/contracts would work?
Old 21st Jul 2017, 23:44
gbotley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kungfu panda
The future for British Pilots in Easyjet and other British Airlines is far more uncertain than is suggested by the optimistic posts above. Until there is a deal, no deal still being very possible, it looks likely that the UK will drop out of the transportation agreement. The repercussions of that situation would probably be very serious as scheduled flights from the UK into Europe would be subject to bilateral agreements and opposed vehemently by foreign flag carriers and Ryanair. I also don't see airlines lifting the right to live and work in the EU as being an prerequisite to most LCC jobs.

I understand that bilateral agreements work both ways but there will be long term vehement legal opposition from parties such as Air France, Lufthansa etc who already have their bilateral in place and who would have a great opportunity to restrict opposition.
Valid points, but aren't all EU states a party of the bilateral ICAO Convention to which the freedoms of the air must then apply? In such a case easyJet UK flying into Europe and say, Wizz Air flying into the UK would be permitted. The concern comes with EU to EU domestic operations from a non-EU carrier to which easyJet Europe's new AOC bypasses with supposed "Cabotage" being allowed to continue? Your point on a ban on British carriers entry into the European Union would be unlawful by these rules unless i'm unaware of something here - feel free to say.

But nevertheless, this point is off topic. The topic relates to employability of Brits with the new setup. I've since heard publicly and privately from around five crew members to say things appear to be remaining the same - for now at least. Of course, easyJet is only one carrier to which a newly qualified pilot could apply to and many of the remaining are not as badly affected. It's an interesting point to bring up nonetheless.

Last edited by gbotley; 22nd Jul 2017 at 00:03.