PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 21st Jul 2017, 21:27
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJ2
aterpster;
It not about the degree of sympathetic hearing, it's about the effects of fatigue that appear common to both events. There are important cues missed in both events. We have yet to learn what preceded the SFO incident and why.

The factors listed under the NTSB's Report on the UPS accident, "Probable Cause and Findings" section,

(5) the captain's performance deficiencies likely due to factors including, but not limited to, fatigue, distraction, or confusion, consistent with performance deficiencies exhibited during training; and (6) the first officer's fatigue due to acute sleep loss resulting from her ineffective off-duty time management and circadian factors.

may or may not also apply in the SFO incident, we haven't heard from the NTSB or the TSB yet but I think the remark regarding circadian effects is a good starting point but having done these approaches into SFO over many years, I understand that there is likely more to this.
What evidence of fatigue do you have for the SFO incident. Are you aware of their schedule or sleep patterns? I think not. I suspect that you are just making an assumption based on the time that the incident happened. But perhaps the pilots were well rested prior to the flight.

There seems to be an automatic assumption by some that if any incident happens at certain times or on a long flight, that fatigue is a factor, perhaps in an attempt to deflect attention away from the possibility of crew error.

As of right now, most of us have no idea on whether the crew were fatigued so we should not be posting in a manner as if it was likely. The reality is that it is a possibility along with many other possibilities and that's all.

The other reality is that there are flights all over the world that are long haul and at strange hours. Yet they are completed without incident. Misidentification of airports and runways happen on a regular basis to fatigued and non-fatigued crews.

As we can see in the UPS cause that was posted, the captain had some deficiencies that were seen in training and resulted in the accident. I'm sure they were tired, but so were probably 25% or more of UPS pilots in the system that night and every night.