PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are you Amelia?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2017, 12:13
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Mr. Porterhouse...

Expert Aviator 'Porterhouse' writes:

"It is a bunch of BS" :

You are after all, entitled to an opinion...rude as it is.

"...the people who heard her estimated her to be no more than 100 miles away based on radio technology at the time." :

Based on HF S5, you mean, which is not a true gauge and could mean they were hundreds of miles away at the time. Even radio experts say that distance cannot be measured by HF strengths and it has been said here (twice), 1937 was an unusual year for sunspot activity.

"Also you want me believe that they were hundreds of miles short of Howland island - this is like saying that Noonan had no clue what he was doing." :

I am not asking you to believe anything. It is plainly obvious from your way of speaking to other people that you know everything there is to know about aviation, so what is the point of conversing with you ? No point at all so this will be the last time. I am merely saying that the Groundspeeds point to a different operating mode compared to other LD flights made. Certainly, I do think that there was a miscalculation as to how far they had reached. YOU as an expert, may have a different opinion, to which you are entitled.

"So it is a bunch of 'religious' beliefs, trying to navigate around the facts and bending them to make your theory fit." :

The only facts in the New Britain Project are the detail surrounding the find of an all-metal, unpainted, twin-engined aircraft powered by P&W "Wasp" engines, with no military insignia, seen by an Australian WWII patrol and the appearance discovered years later of cryptic letters and numbers on a map from that era, used by the particular unit, which, had surprisingly enough detail information to identify the cryptic info as being of Earhart's Electra.... due to this astounding find, research went from there. The explanation of how it "could" get to be there is a HYPOTHESIS and is open to discussion and criticism, which I expect and do not mind. What I do mind, however, is people who tend to be bl--dy rude, such as you are. You are entitled to an opinion, but don't abuse the entitlement. Work your own aerodynamic and power usage formulas and see what you get if it is within your expert comprehension to do so.

" If Ric Gillespie was here who would be arguing that he has all the proofs that they flew to Gardner Island, you really deserve each other." :

Now you have upset me. "Deserve each other" ??? Mentioning Gillespie in the same breath as myself... Wow, you are quite a nasty pugnacious little man aren't you ? Dear Oh, Dear...

"And with this 'easing throttles' you clearly have no clue about flying airplanes, if you ease throttles beyond your max endurance - you actually make situation worse.":

Now there's a thing.... Do you have in your possession a Flight Manual for the Lockheed Electra 10A aircraft ? If you have, turn to Page 35A. Now, I mentioned that I had read somewhere that Clarence "Kelly" Johnson (in 1936) had advised Earhart to 'lean off' into an adverse headwind. Read Page 35A.... You don't have it ? I'll tell you what it says.... It says specifically that pilots should increase speed into an adverse headwind. Loose leaf Page 35A Amendment is printed in Courier Font. Courier Font was invented post-WWII and Lockheed felt it necessary to inform and instruct pilots to increase speed into an adverse (extra value to the flight planning) headwind. I didn't say "I" would lean off or ease the throttles. If you have a copy of "Last Flight" written by Earhart, on Page 33, it gives an indication that she could well be using lean of peak and if she did use lean of peak she would not be able to lean any more now would she ? The only way after that to use "less" gas would be to retard (ease) the throttles slightly. I obtained that AFM for the Electra 10A about twenty years ago from Lockheed at Marietta and was struck by the fact that Lockheed found it really necessary to include the point about increasing speed into a headwind years after production of the Electra had ended... Then again, that might be because of an incident in a flight or U.S Companies were facing more and more litigation over products (i.e: could be a reason why).

Have a nice expert aviator day.

Last edited by David Billings; 21st Jul 2017 at 12:24.