PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206 IBF
Thread: Bell 206 IBF
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2017, 12:12
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
A bane of aviation life in Australia are the dictates from operators to restrict pilots from carrying out their obligation to enter unserviceabilities in the Maintenance Release. It seems to evolve (mainly in fixed wing) at an early stage of pilot training and was something I had to get almost every new fixed wing pilot out of the habit when they started working for me. I always suspected it came from the use of privately owned aircraft used by such schools where the owner couldn't afford proper maintenance.

It is patently the pilot's duty to enter a snag into the MR. Should a LAME then sign off the entry the responsibility devolves back to him, but whatever you do resist pressure from any part of management to prevent you carrying out your legal obligation when signing for a helicopter. Your signature in the MR for the preflight means that you've accepted responsibility for the machine and its condition for flying during that day, including another pilot taking over from you for a later trip. And at the end of your flight, it is your obligation to enter any U/S items in the MR, something that cannot be prevented by another person.