PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R-44 Down off Long Island, NY
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2017, 08:11
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bell ringer - on the button!

The Robbo was cheap enough to attract "undesirables" into the industry/sport.
When you put a moderately wealthy moron behind the wheel of a sports car / fast boat / helicopter - you get the expected outcome. To quantify the statement, I am describing a minority here. I'm sure the vast majority of well to do individuals are responsible adults.

My neighbour who owns a hotel a big boat and a bentley bought an R22 - because he could. He bought it part share with his brother. He flew it home to the hotel where it was going to live and parked it on the lawn outside. Weeks later his brother rocks up makes a big fuss about his new toy and climbs into said helicopter only to find that when they are two up and at his weight (19st), the effing thing won't take off???
A blessing in disguise - methinks.
Lots of money makes some people think they can transcend certain standards/limits and do anything.

I see this phenomena as a way of purging society of moron's...........

I still have one question to ask of this case (pilot obviously not a moron): How far offshore was he and did he really need to be far enough offshore to have to EOL into the water. This could easily have ended up another tragedy.