PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 20th Jul 2017, 22:53
underfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dibo, no worries, please keep in mind that is what THEY say the systems are doing.

Shore Guy. I hope you enjoyed the mind numbing experience on ADSB committees as I did. In reality, I really dont see why they are flogging this antiquated system, especially with all of the limitations. The broadcast string is too short to have a viable encription, so you will never, ever see ADSB-In. Boeing swore to that.
We trialled ADSB-In with test flights into Brisbane, and the tested many potential capabilities, and with what we were able to do, it scared the hell out of them.
The ability to input data to the FMS should scare anyone. Do it with the charecture string available in the ADSB tranmission to provide any encription, lemming talk.

That being said, the tech is going to the Ku band transmissions through uplinks to/from the ac. Many new aircraft already do this, such as the 787 variants and most new 777 variants. Boeing doesnt monitor 40,000 datapoints live on the ac through ADSB.
By the time ADSB is sorted, if ever, it will be like comparing AM radio to Broadband Wifi.

With remote tower operations, SWIMM, and other acronyms making headway, it will be interesting to see how the ASDE-X/ASSC system failed to alert an aircraft centered on the taxiway for at least 4nm affects current and near term operations.