PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St Africa training
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2003, 08:14
MVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAA CPL training does not require a JAA PPL!
You can do an ICAO PPL and then either do the JAA ATPL exams first or the hour building first.
The only requirement for JAA Approved training starts from ATPL groundschool or CPL flying. With the changes last June to IR rules you can do an ICAO IR and convert it pretty cheaply in the UK.
(Although there are some good deals about in the US and UK for full JAA IR courses)

When you have the hours and any ICAO PPL you can do a JAA approved ATPL/CPL course.

Personally I went to SA for the cost and to travel when I was there.
I object to paying 100 pounds an hour to fly a 25 year old shed in the UK, when I can fly a new warrior in SA for 40 pounds an hour all in!
When food and board and maid service costs 140 pounds a month! YES A MONTH!
When a beer costs 50p and a steak costs 4 pounds!

I had a great time, spent 4 months flying, safari holiday etc,
got an SA PPL, night rating, 3 class ratings including complex single and did the majority of my hour building in a complex single. (50 pounds an hour wet!)

I flew all round SA, into Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Joburg and crossed over to Botswana for a couple of days.
The whole 4 months cost less than 7000 pounds and believe me I had to play hard to spend that much!

Don't get blinkered by JAA adverts or this bull@h@t people say about flying in UK weather. Try flying from a coastal airfield in SA during their winter and tell me about UK weather being challenging!

Do loads of research before you make any decision (There is lots of good gen on the forum search), visit the place if you can first and DONT PAY EVERYTHING UP FRONT!!!
I paid for 10 hours in advance the whole time and they were more than happy with that.
Don't be tempted by the big discounts for paying in full upfront!!!!

There are plenty of good schools around and various ways to get to a frozen ATPL, you don't need to spend 60000 pounds at Jerez or Oxford but if your lucky enough to have the dosh or daddy does then good luck to you.

I hope to have mine complete by christmas and will have spent just over 22000 pounds in 18 months. 250 hours SA PPL JAA CPL/Multi/IR
What a bargain!

Best of luck.....................