PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is water injection a redundant technology?
Old 20th Jul 2017, 02:42
Mozella

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Following my stint in the U.S. Navy flying the F-8 Crusader, I went to work for Trans World Airlines as a pilot, starting out in the flight engineer seat on the B-707. TWA had all sorts of 707 models, but one was powered by the same turbojet engine used in the F-8, the famous J-57, called a JT3C in civilian life. It's been a long long time, but if I remember correctly the "straight pipe" (non fan) versions injected demineralized water (no other additives) into the combustion chamber for about 2 minutes on take off to increase the mass flow through the engine.

Anyone who's flown a non-fan jet knows about the poor static thrust produced by pure turbojets engines, which is why they invented fan engines in the first place. But in the mean time, water injection allowed heavy take offs to be made with conventional turbo jet powered airliners. The dry thrust was just over 11,000 pounds and "wet" it made about 13,000 pounds.

Unfortunately what's left of my brain can't remember how much water we held nor do I recall how fast we pumped it, but I do remember being impressed when they taught those two facts in ground school.

Any water not used prior to thrust reduction following take off was immediately dumped.

I also seem to recall that the pumps were powered by two electrical busses, one for engines 1 & 2 and another for 2 & 4. The FE's job was to protect this part of the electrical system at all cost during take off because losing one meant a huge reduction of thrust on one side. Why Boeing, who was and still is famous for their good engineering practices, wired it that way I'll never know. Anyhow it was an interesting system and a hot weather, heavy take off in an old water wagon was always a thrill.

Once in cruise, these aircraft were fast primarily because the non-fan engines were so slim.