PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2017, 17:46
Uplinker

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
Again, the stick inputs from the PF are very easy to see if you just look at them.
You would see that immediately if you sat in an airbus pilot seat.

...............As well as a stick shaker if the airbus does happen to stall.
Not necessarily. At night and if the cockpit is dark, it is not so easy to see - especially if the tray table is out. Also, if you are expecting a pilot not to hold full back-stick, (why would he?), you would not look for it. This is why, in my opinion, the real cause of the problem was so baffling to the other F/O and the Captain. Neither of them expected that Bonin would be holding full back-stick, so they did not even look for it.

Linked controls and/or some sort of side-stick position indicator on the PFD would have alerted the crew to Bonins' actions.

Another thing that troubles me is that this scenario is not being demonstrated in the SIM. I had it 'done' to me in the SIM by a very good TRE, and it opened my eyes. It is all very well doing a few minutes of high level manual handling and a few more minutes of low level stall training, but not the same thing as actually experiencing what these poor chaps had.