PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 19th Jul 2017, 14:20
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peekay4
On most modern aircraft the CVR automatically stops recording shortly after engine stop, and I believe this aircraft sat on the ground for an extended period before its next flight. If the CVR was not secured, then there's plenty of blame to go around.
I believe that on most U.S. aircraft these days the CVR is running whenever there is power on the aircraft to cover the requirement for recording the final checklist at the completion of the flight. There is still an erase button but it does not erase the final 30 minutes of a two hour recording in compliance with the CVR FAR:

§ 121.359 Cockpit voice recorders.

(f) In complying with this section, an approved cockpit voice recorder having an erasure feature may be used, so that at any time during the operation of the recorder, information recorded more than 30 minutes earlier may be erased or otherwise obliterated.
Some of the old boilerplate verbiage from the 30 minute recorder era seems to remain in airline aircraft, systems and ops manuals but I'm sure it will eventually be revised out.

AC 759 apparently wasn't required to have a modern CVR so it may have indeed had the last 30 minutes of the flight recorded ending with the engines shutdown. But, as I observed earlier, it was after midnight Friday night at an out station and nothing was bent, maybe preserving the CVR recording was 'overlooked'.

Or perhaps, as we speak, the legacy CVR is sitting on a workbench at the Quantico lab undergoing data recovery. The NTSB says they were notified on Sunday, perhaps the CVR was recovered but overwritten a few times.

Originally Posted by gus320
Considering that:
1 - We do not know yet if any Notams were active at SFO;
We do know there were NOTAMS for the closure of 28L, as I posted here earlier:

Originally Posted by Airbubba
Here's a couple of possibly pertinent SFO Notams in the traditional cryptic format:

SFO 07/026 SFO RWY 10R/28L CLSD 1707080600-1707081500
SFO 06/017 SFO RWY 28L ALS OUT OF SERVICE 1706021357-1707211500