PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grounded due to historical issue, case taking months at CAA
Old 19th Jul 2017, 10:03
CrazyScientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was my impression, but my AME got in touch by phone yesterday in response to my queries via email and was pretty adamant it wasn't his job to answer the above questions and that it wouldn't make a difference anyway since it's the CAA I need to convince.

I have tried asking questions directly to the CAA but repeatedly get told to ask my AME instead. There is also the issue of my AME asking questions and finding things out on my behalf - the CAA have told me several times if I want further details on the progression of my case or on how the medical officer came to the conclusions they did then my AME should be making these enquiries for me as "doctors can talk to doctors", but as a pilot I am not allowed direct contact with any of the medical officers. However my AME yesterday made it quite clear that he was not going to act as what he described as my advocate or representative at the CAA.

There seems to be a difference in opinion between my current AME and the staff I talk to on the phone at the CAA over an AME's role. Although to be honest the AME who issued my Class 2 was far more forthcoming with advice and finding things out for me.

I guess I could ask my GP on a few things that only require a medical opinion, but it's far from ideal as it would still be better to have access to someone with knowledge on the certification process and workings of the CAA.

I get the feeling that the guidance material on the CAA website is hardly comprehensive, is there somewhere I can officially go to for advice on making appeals?