PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 19th Jul 2017, 09:11
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It brings around, once again, the debate about updating the rules for CVR/FDR to at least 24hrs or a taper proof live data recording back at home base. Technologically I'm sure it's not difficult. Compressed data transmission would not use too many bites or band width. I'm a dinosaur about such electronic matters, but I'm sure there are some clever bods who have a solution, if the authorities are so minded. When you consider the sophistication of modern fly-by-wire a/c and the computer power they have; and then you consider you can use Netflix almost like an HDD recorder with millions of others at the same time, it does seem daft that a battery powered 2 hour chip is all a $60m-$250m a/c has got onboard: and that may end up 6000' high in a mountaintop jungle or 6000' on the ocean bed.
If this had been the case the MH370 would not be such a mystery; and what has that cost so far to achieve zero? I think the cost of that search alone could pay for the development of live data transmission technology.
One aspect of the process is that no solution will be found until the powers acknowledge there is a problem. It might be they need a kick up the jacksie.