PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 14:29
LBIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I'ld like a new Parkway station to be built I just don't think it will happen.
It seems Sheffield and it's neighbours have successfully argued themselves off the main route. It will also provided an approximate £1bn cost saving which I'm sure helped ease the decision. Oh and that's the DUP money sorted l!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/629154/high-speed-two-from-crewe-to-manchester-west-midlands-to-leeds-and-beyond-phase-2b-route-decision-web-version.pdf

Demand for long distance rail travel emanating from South Yorkshire needs to be balanced against demand from other markets further north. The demand generated by Leeds is almost double that of Sheffield. For every 2 passengers projected to alight in the Sheffield City Region, a further 7 are travelling beyond to other destinations served by HS2

The Secretary of State must decide on the strategic balance between serving South Yorkshire’s needs and those of other regions further north and south. With the M18 / Eastern route enabling faster journeys to destinations with high levels of demand and the inclusion of Chesterfield, as well as increasing the overall benefits of the Y shaped network, the Secretary of State continues to judge that the M18 / Eastern route better meets the strategic objectives of HS2 than the Meadowhall route.