PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 13:31
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
Buster 15,

First off it's three squadrons and not two; 9, 12 and 31, secondly it may be a "perfectly capable first line strike Tornado GR4 fleet," but it's been in service for over 36 years and it has been worked very hard operationally for 26 of those years almost continuously.

Typhon and Lightning will have all of the capabilities of Tornado less the large Reconnaissance pod, and the GR4 doesn't go until 2019, when these capabilities will be worked up on Typhoon and on the way on Lightning.

Let the old beast go...
Thank you for your clarification although I believed that 12 squadron had been stood down. No matter, my point is about RAF operational capabilities which come 2019 will be severely degraded. Remember they will only have 107 typhoon jets and hardly any operational F35. Assuming even a very optimistic 50% serviceable typhoon, they are likely to be extremely short of jets to do even the most basic requirements. I would also not dismiss the benefits of Raptor pod.
It is interesting that the RAF are flying mixed typhoon/tornado sorties over Iraq to get the best of both aircraft usage.
As to Let the old beast go, my simple question is WHY. The B52 is significantly older yet the USA continue to upgrade it. Reason, it can do things that other jets cannot.
I have no concerns about tornado being retired. My concern is that it is being done for the wrong reasons.