PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadetship help for teeneager!
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 11:53
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Airlinelover
Do you know any activities or previous as such that airlines look for in applications that relate to those mentioned skills.
Airlines don't look for a list of activities that you've completed. They look at the actual skills you've developed as a result of having done those activities. I can look at two different candidates who both have the Air Force Cadets listed as an activity. One of them may be a vastly better fit though on the basis of what they've done in the AAFC. I won't know that until I've spoken to both of you though.

Remember, the aim is to not just look better than another candidate on paper but actually be better in real life. That means actively engaging in your own development. So join the AAFC if you haven't already (although you're approaching the upper end of the ideal age range),engage in team sports, volunteer for virtually everything at school- particularly if there is a teamwork/ decision making/ leadership angle to it.

One of the things to remember is that getting advice is easy but you're the one who has to do the work. So talk to your teachers at school and tell them you're looking to build skills in the areas that I and others have mentioned and what can they suggest or what activities do they have that you can do. Get to know yourself and your strengths and weaknesses. Work on the weaknesses. Read books on leadership, team work, etc.

Good luck. It's an awesome journey.