PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric vehicles in the military
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 11:17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The UK's generating capability and National Grid

As I understand things the UK is already on the edge where spare generating capacity is concerned. So not only will there be a need to build more power stations but the whole of the UK's National Grid will need a major upgrade to cope with the demand for the extra power flowing through it, a not inconsiderable task? Just a simple example from my own street: a small cul-de-sac of fifty houses has between them about 130 cars, most of which would require charging up between 16.00 and 06.00 a significant power requirement that would be replicated across the UK. Fine for me in my Surrey hideaway where everyone parks in a garage or on their drive but unfortunately this isn't an option for most of the car owning population of the UK!
As to the military use of electric vehicles I’m afraid at this stage of the technology cycle I’m totally unconvinced. For Herrick 13 I was at a small base where we had two Huskies and a Ridgeback and a constant effort was required to ensure we always had sufficient fuel to keep them operational with our only source of electricity being a rather temperamental portable generator. Also how much extra will an electric equivalent of a Husky, Ridgeback or Mastiff weigh and will those rickety old bridges, culverts and embankments out in the back of beyond cope?

Last edited by 163627; 18th Jul 2017 at 11:25. Reason: missing word