PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment
Thread: RAF Regiment
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 10:03
Corporal Clott

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Monikers or Nom de Plumes

Brian, you need to calm down as others have said 'play the ball and not the man'. The monikers that you refer to have been and are used on PPrune by many posters. They are also used by military aircrew on spoof name badges in many a happy hour. All very immature, but I have seen some of the female aircrew wearing some of these names as well!

Examples are:

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
Welwyn Cyder-Belvoir
Helen Damnation
Willie Eckerslike
Mike Oxlong
Mike Hunt
Heywood Jablomey
Hugh Jardon
Buster Hyman
Ali Chapussy
Isaac Hunt
Sheila Vaperiod
Drew Peacock

So when put into context then the LJ moniker is no different to the above. Indeed one of them is the most prolific on the caption competition thread on PPrune - equally offensive to the female gender. They are jokes; intended to be so. I even note that LJ admitted mea culpa that it is one of the poorly chosen immature joke names, and that in hindsight he would change it if he could.

However, I also agree with many on here that some of the comments on this thread appear to be heart-felt and could be at best be described as 'outdated'. Discriminatory comments on female roles and stereotyping being the 'baby bearers' is making the news today: Advertising watchdog to get tough on gender stereotypes - BBC News

I also found some of the attitudes towards the new Dr Who hugely telling on a minority's viewpoint on gender in the UK. Yes, the posted Tardis driving jokes are probably a bit too raw at present not to be seen as more anti than funny.

Like it or not, the world is changing. I still find it staggering that women were not allowed to vote in this country some 100 years ago. Luckily I am from a different generation that finds this so very strange and deplorable.