PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 09:19
BusAirDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure why that is encouraging, that link / posts was written in 2007, when they job market was completely different than today. This article does not have much relevance in todays market.

Today CTC have cornered many of those first FO jobs for low hours experienced pilots and MPL's.

Going the SEP FI route for people starting around 40 is not an easy choice, as it adds quite a bit on the cost of the course, and if you have a family, you probably will not be able to survive working as an FI, if you at all find a job as an FI.

Most of the FI's I know had several thousand SEP and MEP hours, but they got jobs after people that they had newly trained with only 300 hours.
So the game of getting a job is quite random.
Example with myself, I had already been flying jets for several years when my CPL instructor got his first airline job.

As a fresh trained pilot, you might not get that many chances of an interview and Sims, and when you do get on chance you will be competing with thousands of other applicants.

If you are around mid thirties when you start training you have a good chance of making a career, but be aware what it's all about, the risks and dangers.

If you starting early 40's, I would say it's getting risky, as you will be at least 44 - 45 by the time you get your first job, if you get one at all.

I know of plenty of success stories I could tell you about here, but for every success story, I know 10 that are not having an happy ending.

So if you are comfortable to take the financial hit, and this is not an issue for your future, than go for it, if you feel that this will put you and your families future at risk, than take a step back and consider it carefully again.

It's a bit like Dirty Harry's best line, "Do you feel lucky? (Punk) "