PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So, I want to fly a jet
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 07:15
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Just a thought batteries.

If you have plenty of spare money (lucky person) but there's no particular "practical reason" to fly a jet - just a personal ambition, there are warbirds out there.

If a high performance single or light twin is actually the right aeroplane for what you'll use an aeroplane for most of the time, why not look around at the various opportunities which exist to fly something like a vintage Hawker Hunter? Vastly less practical of course, but if you want to do something exciting and challenging, and have money to scratch that itch, you may get a different and possibly better level of satisfaction from using something like a TBM as your "practical" aeroplane and push yourself on days off in an ex military jet. The latter is totally and utterly impractical for most purposes of course (but then again, so are many business jets in the way they're used if we're honest), but would be tremendously enjoyable.

If you went that route, I think that the only thing I'd add into the suggested workup is a chunk of quality time in something appropriate becoming competent at aerobatics. Mostly irrelevant in a business jet (note I say mostly, not totally - google "upset training", but potentially a whole lot more satisfying.