PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric vehicles in the military
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 06:02
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by langleybaston
Many of us would need two totally different cars if ]not when] all-electrics become dominant.

Why? Range. My journeys are fairly typical: either local, short distance, short time [electric, tick the box] OR long long distance [recently lincolnshire - Harwich- Wernigerode Harz in one go on one tankful. ......]
There was a suggestion many years ago that the typical commuter did just that. But rather than own a family car and a commuter car, they should hire a family car for holidays.

Of course society developed in a different direction and many found the people carrier/SUV essential for the mother and a smaller car for commuting. Once you are down to the original 1+1 and no kids then an electric car for short distances and hiring a big car for holidays might be attractive.

However that original 1+1 remains elusive even in retirement. With one set of grand children 90 minutes away (doable) and the other 300 minutes (not doable) and the need to carry the GC, seats etc . . .