PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadetship help for teeneager!
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 03:25
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
I've worked with a lot of RAAF guys who have joined us over the last few years, all were mid 40s at the youngest. None have joined as Captain, all FOs. I don't see why they should join as a Captain either without the relevant experience. Why are they so special? I've had that debate ten times over recently. One guy thought because he served our country for 20 years he had top pick of the jobs. Back of the queue buddy.....
I guess there's a chance you could get a contract job or a DE position with RAAF KC-30 time overseas, but if you want a major airline job in Australia? Bottom of the seniority list. Doesn't matter if you were the top KC-30 or BBJ or F-18 pilot in the RAAF, if you join an airline you go to the bottom of the seniority list behind the cadet with 200 hours who joined the day before you.

Out of interest, how long does it take to go from entry level cadet to captaincy on an airline?

And how long does it take to get to the captain's seat on a RAAF KC-30...and then to a DE captain with an international airline?
Entry level cadet to airline captaincy? Maybe 5-7 for Rex. 5-10 for JQ? 10-20 for QF? 10-15 for VA? Those are pure guesses
For the RAAF you'll be very lucky to be getting a DE captaincy unless it's an overseas contract job.

To the OP, if being an airline captain is your ultimate goal, I'd go for a cadetship over the RAAF. Especially since you don't seem interested in the military at all.

With what you've done so far you're definitely on the right tack to an airline pilot career, as others have said work on your non technical skills like teamwork and communication and concentrate on your school studies for the next few years.

Last edited by dr dre; 18th Jul 2017 at 04:17.