PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 18th Jul 2017, 02:38
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Derfred
Pulling the CVR circuit breaker following an incident is not procedure in my jurisdiction, nor in my airline.

Is it really policy in that part of the world?
The NTSB has lobbied for a couple of decades for turning off the power to the CVR after a 'reportable' incident or accident.

See:

THE NTSB RECOMMENDS THAT THE FAA: REQUIRE ALL AIRLINES TO REVISE THEIR PROCEDURES TO STIPULATE THAT FLIGHTCREWS TURN OFF POWER TO THE COCKPIT VOICE RECORDER AS PART OF THE ENGINE SHUTDOWN PROCEDURE IN THE EVENT OF A REPORTABLE INCIDENT/ACCIDENT.
https://ntsb.gov/safety/safety-recs/...x?Rec=A-96-170

Several airlines have put the CVR breaker on the shutdown checklist ('as required') so if the pilots 'forget' to pull it in case of a safety related event, the feds can go after them for not properly completing the checklist. Or, maybe it's just a memory aid.

§ 121.359 (h) mentions NTSB part 830, if you don't hit anything and no one swerves out of the way, you might be OK buzzing four planes holding short of the runway and not pulling the cb:

(h) In the event of an accident or occurrence requiring immediate notification of the National Transportation Safety Board under part 830 of its regulations, which results in the termination of the flight, the certificate holder shall keep the recorded information for at least 60 days or, if requested by the Administrator or the Board, for a longer period. Information obtained from the record is used to assist in determining the cause of accidents or occurrences in connection with investigations under part 830. The Administrator does not use the record in any civil penalty or certificate action. [trust me, we're here to help you etc. - Airbubba]
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.359

On the Canadian side it looks like the CVR is supposed to be disabled after an accident or incident. Again, maybe AC 759 could claim they didn't hit anything so they didn't know the cb was supposed to be pulled:

3.0 BACKGROUND
Following recent incidents, flight crews have either disabled the wrong circuit breaker or neglected to pull the circuit breaker for a CVR, resulting in the loss of critical information. The Transportation Safety Board (TSB) has recommended that steps be taken to ensure that the necessary information and guidance is made available to flight crews to properly safeguard on-board recordings following an occurrence.

4.0 REQUIREMENTS
Subsection 605.34(2) of the CARs states: No person shall erase any communications pertaining to the flight being undertaken that have been recorded by a cockpit voice recorder.

Paragraphs 725.135(i), 724.121(i), 723.105(1)(aeroplane) 723.105(j)(helicopter) of the CASS require the inclusion of FDR and CVR procedures in the Company Operations Manual. It is expected that the appropriate steps for disabling of a FDR and/or CVR following an accident or incident will be included in these procedures.

Clauses 705.124(2)(a)(iv)(C), 704.115(2)(a)(v)(C), and subparagraph 703.98(2)(c)(iii) of the CARs require that an air operator’s training program include initial and annual training on emergency procedures. This training should include procedures for disabling the FDR/CVR following an accident or incident, and must be provided to flight crew members and ground personnel.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...00-013-131.htm