PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment
Thread: RAF Regiment
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 02:17
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks to me as though this thread is missing perspective.

The regular component of the RAF Regiment is no more than 2000 people. Of that number, women may in future occupy a small percentage. It is a limited-role infantry capability. That's not to say they're not at the sharp end at times, but there's no mechanised capability, no AAW weapons, just basic light infantry with a defined scope (60 miles from the airfield, IIRC).

The argument about solving manning shortfalls seems ancillary to me when there are still areas of HMF that are gender-closed. Open the gender gate, and then assess whether you still have a shortfall. Definitely putting the cart before the horse in my view.

There's no NEAF, FEAF, ATAF, RAFG or anything else anymore, and hasn't been for years. Same for the Army and RN. A few stragglers in Germany closing down. Hell, JHQ closed; I never thought I'd see that in my lifetime. The point being that the scope of the entire Service, and indeed HMF is much reduced, and while this issue might have been a flea on an elephant in the Cold War, it's more of a flea on a cow these days.

As for the "officer and gentleman" horse****, it is exactly that. There's no place in modern society for such pretend distinction between rank divisions. It is a relic of the 17th century and belongs there. I've read on here (not recently, thank the Lord) terms such as "untermensch", referring to "ORs". Those making such statements write their own career epitaph.

Good luck to the future RAF Regiment gunners; whatever their gender.