PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Airlines (info please)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2017, 23:11
wingdeagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are "two cents" from a guy, who spent many years working for VN: while it's sad to see many expats being let go, foreign pilots need to understand that they are only CONTRACTORS. That's right. There to fill seats till these seats can be covered by a local pilot. Every national airline has the right and should aim to "nationalize" it's airline, as this is much cheaper and we are in the business world. Will it effect their operation and drive the already low standards shown by newcomer pilots even lower ? Most certainly. But it's their airline and their decision to make. For years Vietnam Airlines has been a good to a great place for many expat pilots. They were pretty much the only airline to offer upgrade opportunities to F/Os, Captains could switch fleets or become instructors and examiners. Career opportunities were give to those, who were initially hired to fill a vacant seat. While many operational decisions were always questionable, the locals were always very kind to most of us, therefore insulting and calling them names is LOW CLASS ! You may not agree with their policies, philosophies and decisions, but again it's their airline and it's their right to decide which way they want to steer the ship (a direction I find highly questionable and it was one of my reasons to leave after many years). At one time VN had the monopoly flying domestic routes. With VJ in the mix and more competition from outside, VN is not the only option for passengers anymore. The economic pressure is there to save money and it's usually the contract pilots who are the first "casualties". And, if you are being let go with a 60 day notice, you are not being "fired". Your contract is clearly saying you can be let go with a certain timely notice. Am I concerned to where VN is heading ? Having left many friends (locals and expats) behind I am very concerned. Economically and yes operationally. Economically the airline is not prepared to face the wind of competition. Operationally I have seen standards from new First Officers go to a very concerning low point with not all but many simply being afraid to fly and make a mistake, always seeing the much dreaded "level" and the "safety debrief (public humiliation and loss of face)" in front of their eyes. Safe flying, guys. Stick together instead of spending time bashing the company and each other. With VN's current direction everyone may need to buckle up tight !

Last edited by wingdeagle; 17th Jul 2017 at 23:31.