PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 17th Jul 2017, 22:37
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeenItAll
Although given the positions and heights involved, AC would not have hit first two aircraft, only numbers 3, 4 and 5.
Before we get too far with this one, weren't there only four aircraft holding short of 28R on C?

Originally Posted by underfire
It is a RNAV visual approach, and visual from 4 DME. The driver even questioned if there were aircraft on the runway, and still decided to land. From what everyone is saying, this is an old A320 that may have not been GPS capable, so it appears they werent relying on the automation anyways...
And it appears that the A320 will give you path guidance all the way to touchdown in this case, even if the nav is not accurate due to a map shift of some sort. But you are absolutely right, this is a visual approach with a four mile line up, they should not have relied on the FMS for anything more than advisory guidance on the visual segment.

Originally Posted by RAT 5
Perhaps they are correct, and that is where I'm wondering if we have just over complicated things on what should be the most basic of manoeuvres; a visual approach.
I know of one erstwhile operator who has a mandatory VNAV/LNAV FMS WPT programmed visual circuit profile for a basically equipped airfield. It's been there a longtime, and I flew into it with B732. Somehow, 35 years later in a more sophisticated jet, it needs magenta lines, both later & vertical, to fly a visual circuit.
The world has gone mad, and I enjoy my stressless retirement. I got out just in time. Straight jackets & handcuffs are useless in a cockpit, sometimes.
Years ago I flew for an airline that wore white hats and had acquired a regional carrier to provide a domestic feed to their legendary international routes. Folks from the domestic carrier weren't too keen on book learning but they had honed their flying skills doing several sectors a day around the southeastern U.S. in a 727 or L-188. The pilots from the international airline could quote chapter and verse of all the manuals but didn't do that many landings flying long haul. The domestic airline types joked that the other folks would someday write a book called The Dreaded Visual Approach.

Three decades of glass cockpit flying has probably made us ready for that bestseller.