PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 17th Jul 2017, 18:41
JumpJumpJump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AfricanSkies
We were parked on a taxiway once and an aircraft was clearly lined up on the taxiway to land. The pilot also told Tower that she sees lights and aircraft on the runway, tower also told her the runway is clear.

For us to have transmitted at that stage ala "where's this guy going? He's on the taxiway" would have risked blocking a vital transmission, either from landing aircraft or from Tower to Go Around, at a critical point. We put all our lights on and waited.. Tower told aircraft to go around, she didn't miss us by far.

It's one of those situations where interference can save you, or it can seal your fate.

"Air Canada go around" from one of the waiting aircraft would have been a far better (and briefer) call than the one made.
I have often considered under which circumstances at a controlled airfield a pilot could/should tell another aircraft to go around. Certainly if I saw landing lights coming from the sky in front of me when rolling for take off, I think tha this would be the correct course of action. In this case, from what we know, I also think that it would have been justifiable.... What do other people think? What possible outcomes could there have been for the pilot on the taxiway had he have called the go-around.... in this situation it looks like he may have been justified in doing so.... has anybody else considered this course of action in the past? would anybody here consider following that course of action in the future?