PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheap creative ways to build hours?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2017, 09:08
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAT 5
Decades ago there was a loop-hole. I do not know if it still exists. A friend use to do aerial photography, working for the photographer who had the client base. He flew single pilot in a Cessna (it needs to be hi-wing) and made very good commission. The snag was the CAA then deemed it to be commercial flying as he was paid to fly: this was before the aerial-work permit. The loop-hole was the pilot then would rent the a/c as a PPL and be paid to take photos.
The more top-end photo companies employed a commercial photographer on board, so then you were being paid to fly; unless they would also work the dodge of you renting the a/c and the photographer was then your pax on a joy ride.
I'm not up to date with the aerial work permit under EASA.
My mate made good hours and a healthy income. You'd need to find a way to be paid for something else and not the flying per se.
I've been asked several times by relatives of the recently departed about scattering ashes over their favourite spots in the highlands, based on what those sea burial guys charge for boat hire and putting on a small ceremony with their best Albert Finney sad faces while chucking the ashes overboard it could be a good way of covering your flying costs, I understand there's a bit more to it than opening the storm window and pouring them out, get it wrong and you could be wearing old uncle Ernie.