PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment
Thread: RAF Regiment
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2017, 00:16
iRaven

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts
Danny

Just looking at your argument about sending women forward, it appears flawed. Why do we happily send female combat medics in to treat our wounded under fire (as previously stated some have got MCs to prove it) but wouldn't send them in with a rifle/bayonet in case they get targetted? It just doesn't make sense to me. If it is too dangerous and a threat to infantrymens' efficiency then surely there should be no female medics either? I don't believe that real life experience in Iraq and Afghanistan would support this concern?

Also, I think all of us need to remember that the RAF Regt tend to be employed in and around airfields on FP duties. I see no reason why females, that have passed selection, wouldn't make fine Rock Apes (note that Apes' names are not gender specific which is quite apt in this case) and may even excel in certain areas over their male colleagues with their gender specific attributes. One such example is as a sniper. The Soviet Union found that some of their best snipers were female such as Pavlicenko with 309 kills during world war 2.

So I agree, let us get behind this and see what it brings. Just saying 'no' or 'I beg to differ' isn't really giving it the chance the scheme deserves.