PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment
Thread: RAF Regiment
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2017, 23:49
Lima Juliet

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts
@Rotate Too Late

I think you need to look at that post of mine in context (which I am sure you have done by going through posts 3 years old). The post was originally from back in 2014. The context of the post related to a young cadet that had been assaulted and the claim from others was that the attacker was likely to be Muslim - which is a religion and not a race. As you know, to be a Muslim you can be black, white, yellow or brown in skin colour - it is the BEHAVIOUR that I was taking issue against, not the race/skin colour. Even then, I have no profound issue with those that wish to follow the Islamic faith, but when the BEHAVIOUR becomes extreme (regardless of race) falling short of acceptable and a young cadet is injured then I have the right to object. You should know that BEHAVIOUR is not covered by the Equalities Act. Poor behaviour is exactly the thing that the Law and Justice system protects us against. As it happens in the case of the Cadet, if I recall correctly, the OP got it very wrong and the criminal was actually a wacked-out druggy that commited the attrocity (although it was some time ago, so I may have this wrong).

@Training Risky

Yes, mea culpa for having a pathetic "Benny Hill"esque Nom De Plume. I was somewhat more immature when I came up with the name 17 years ago - others around at the time were Justin Cider-Belvoir or Normus Teets; equally poor judgement and childish these days. Anyone know how or if it can be changed - I'll glady swap it for something less inflammatory.

@Brian48

I've had a look at D42's post again and whilst it is nowhere near as bad as some of the others. It does read poor in that D42 showed a desire to belong to the "Dinosaur Club", "Clearly, you must protect your breeding stock at all costs, to secure the next generation, whereas the males are expendabl" or "anything you can do, I can do better. I beg to differ" - all very polite but the undertone and perceived intent is so very wrong.

BOTTOM LINE ON ALL OF THIS
What would have been really nice on this thread to begin with would have been some views on how the allowance of females in the RAF Regt was the right thing to do. How, if the females reach the required standard they will be welcome into the Trade/Branch. How, some of them can realise their ambition without fear of prejudice and the expectation to succeed should they make the grade. But no, a bunch of likely grumpy old gits rattled off arguments/attitudes that should have been buried at least 100 years ago. Well I for one want to wish the future female Jr Gunners and JROCs the very best for their success.