PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment
Thread: RAF Regiment
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2017, 20:57
Danny42C

#62 from Cazalet33 is worthy of serious consideration. It goes to the heart of the problem. I have heard that the Israeli Army found that, in battle, a wounded female
meant two non-combatants - the casualty and a male soldier who simply could not abandon her before help arrived.

This is a basic human reaction and no way can you blame the IDF High Command for recognising it:
...The IDF brass have learned the lesson and although they still have female infantry, the plan is no longer to place them right on the front line in quite such a literal way...
This is not "Discrimination" against women - just common sense. The IDF had a war to win, btw, and may have future ones to fight.

And how about this, some long time ago there was published here a picture of a FJ output from Valley: three young men and one young woman (all credit to the young lady !) All were Flt Lts, which (I think) means that they have all had 3½ years Commissioned service (probably all in [very expensive] training).

Who would deny her the right to resign her Commission on marriage tomorrow, were she minded to do so ? But isn't that "Discrimination" (a male officer has no such option). You see how "rights" collide. And how about the taxpayer - does he/she not have a stake in this ? (someone would have to pick up the bill for her training).

If this is misogyny, so be it. But I have been the Adjutant of an (Auxiliary) Unit whose prime purpose was to train 70-odd (almost all) airwomen in the vital trades of Radar Operator and Fighter Plotter; have spent a three-year tour lecturing and practical training RAF and WRAF direct entrant officers at the ATC School; and had five years experience working with the School graduates "in the field" before my retirement..

I would without hesitation affirm that the quality has been uniformly excellent: the youhg ladies were every bit as talented and as capable as the young men. BUT - almost all the WRAF we had (admittedly only half a dozen) resigned their SSCs on marriage before completing their term of active service, whereas several of the young men transferred to General List for full careers: two reaching Wing Commander before retirement.

Which proved more profitable for the MOD to recruit ?

Misogynist - Moi ?

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 16th Jul 2017 at 21:06. Reason: Typo !