PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trains to planes
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2017, 19:50
holding4release

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains to planes

Hi Everyone,

I'm after some career advice from people who know the industry or have sifted through wannabe CV's. My situation is I'm 26, have a wife and 2 kids and an itch that I can't shake. I've always been interested in flying but grew up in a working class family with very little disposable so NEVER even considered I could do it as a career, might as well wish to be an astronaut (no violins necessary). None the less I've worked hard and got myself a career in agricultural/ environmental advice (pays in the low 30's) which I'm not thrilled to be in but have to be grateful. The reason I got into agricultural is because I like big boys toys, unfortunately I also have a brain and a professional streak which in that sector means you become more and more desk bound.

After a couple of trial lessons I find myself spending a lot of time wishing I was up there (which I'm told is better than wishing you were down here). As a result I've spent the last few years immersing myself in aviation knowledge (I'm very inquisitive, love the systems, mechanics, techniques procedures etc.) And I think I would even enjoy studying all 14 ATPLs. My wife is even on board as she can see how passionate I am. I don't doubt my aptitude but that's where it ends. Getting the dream off the ground is another matter for a whole realm of practical reasons not least money. Providing for my family comes first and I'm not about to get myself in debt and resentful to them.

Train driving is something that has come up more recently, there's a potential opportunity and although it doesn't inspire the same urge, I feel I could quite enjoy it. In addition it pays well which means I could start flying. As a long term plan (over 10 years max) I'm thinking I could get a job on the rails and tick off my PPL, hr building, CPL, ME/IR etc. Do some flying holidays with the family ferry people about and have them chip in for the cost etc. Basically enjoy the whole process and make myself a half decent pilot In the hope that the right opportunity comes up.

My question is how would all that look on a CV? Would a train driver be looked at favourably given the principles of the two industries are similar (get customers from A to B
safely, following procedures, customer service, working through faults)?

I don't even necessarily want to go straight to the RHS of a boe-bus, for example survey flying appeals, the problem is the outlay means the airline salary would be more attractive at the end. The bottom line is, I have to work. Work takes me away from my family and this will get worse as I progress. I feel I might as well go for something I'm going to enjoy.

All advice will be gratefully received